Call for Submissions – Liminal Magic: Untrue Stories Live
Rumble New Creation Night 2021
Liminal Magic: Untrue Stories Live
A night where we gather to share stories.
Rumble is accepting submissions for its first New Creation Night. It’s something like a storytelling night, only the stories don’t have to be true. But they can be, because there’s always a little truth in fiction.
For our first event we’re getting into the seasonal spirit and paying our respect to the night and the space between this world and another. It’s Halloween. It’s Samhain. It’s a kind of magic.
We strongly encourage works including:
Futurism and Afrofuturism
Storytelling and Fable
Underrepresented and Experimental Forms of Storytelling
Works should have a maximum running time of 12 minutes.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants who’s project draws on or shares traditional knowledge must be able to verify adequate permissions to share this story in public.
We strive to make our events accessible to all artists, including D/deaf artists, artists with lived experiences of disability, neurodivergent artists and artists on the mental health spectrum; and are happy to make accommodations based on the access needs of our selected artists, including ASL interpretation. We especially encourage submissions from QTIBPOC.
We will select three pieces.
How it Works:
- We select story concepts submitted by you.
- Selected Artists write a piece (maximum 12 minutes).
- Pieces will be performed by the writer or another artist as you see fit.
- We will provide an additional fee for a collaborative artist of your choice.
- Live Underscoring/Musical Accompaniment will be incorporated for mood/tone.
- This all happens LIVE AND IN PERSON!
- Everything gets recorded and broadcast out at a later date for access.
- We host pieces on our podcast platform. You maintain full creative rights to your piece!
Submission Deadline: October 1st
Selection Announcement : October 6th
1st Draft Script Deadline: October 18th
Available Rehearsal Space: October 25th & 26th
Tech/Dress: October 27th [Evening]
Additional rehearsal as necessary: October 28th
Event Date: October 29th [Evening]
Outdoor Event Location: Progress Lab 1422 William Street
Artists must be available for Tech/Dress rehearsal and the Event itself
Selected Applicants will receive:
Commissioning Fee ($1,500)
Collaborating Artist Fee ($1,000)
Please Note: This format is ideally suited to direct address, or monologue / lecture based work, but could support two-handers / or dialogue based work.
What to submit:
- Tell us who you are
- Give us a short description of what you want to create/do
- Let us know if there is a collaborating artist you will be working with and what their role is.
- Send us something to get to know you a bit better.
- This could be:
- past writing
- video or audio of you performing/ your work being performe
- Phone Recording of you reading something you care about
How to Submit:
Or submit one PDF with the following information to New Creation Night Artistic Producer Tricia Trinh at email@example.com.
We will be in touch with selected applicants by October 6th 2021.
- Tell us Who you Are
My name is Jiv Parasram, I’m an Indo-Caribbean theatre creator based in Vancouver.
- Give us a short description of what you want to make (anything you can tell us helps):
I want to do a short piece subtly set in a future where Robots have replaced labour and society is further removed from its connection with the natural world, and there is mass unemployment due to automation. But it’s told from the perspective of a self-cash out machine who is having an existential crisis about taking jobs from humans.
- Let us know if there is a collaborating artist you would like to work with and what their role is.
I’d like to work with a Puppeteer or a Costume/Makeup Designer to represent the Self-Cash Machine.
I’d like to Perform this Myself [ ]
I’d like someone else to perform it [ X ]