Rumble is seeking an Operations Manager to join the team. Read on for all the details.
Deadline for application: Monday, June 14, 2021
Rumble creates, presents, and produces contemporary performance. Working in a decentralized collective model, Rumble is committed to prioritizing projects and initiatives that utilize art to expand collective imagination, collaboration, and build a deeper understanding of relationality and community.
For 30 years Rumble has operated as a chameleon in our local community, with a strong priority on sector development. Though our artistic vision has morphed along with our leadership since our inception, one of Rumble’s core aims has always been to respond to our ecology using our infrastructure to enhance, strengthen, and develop the independent theatre community in Metro Vancouver.
To produce, develop, and present contemporary theatre and performance, and to enable opportunity for innovation within arts and culture.
Core company values
CURIOSITY: Maintain an active and open approach to people, thought, expression, ideas, and worldviews.
COURAGE: Have courage to destabilize norms, encourage risk, engage in grey areas, respond to need, and to operate irrespective of precedent.
RECIPROCITY: Respect and trust in our collaborations, and relationships built on equitably fostering mutual benefit.
Rumble Theatre has operated on the traditional, unceded territories of the Coast Salish peoples of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations since its founding in 1991. Long before Rumble, and longer still before the confederation of Canada, the territory we operate on was home to a thriving Indigenous culture and ways of being. Though the maintenance of this way of life has been continuously challenged by colonization and occupation, it continues to this day.
As a long-time producer of Canadian Culture and core grant recipient from federal, provincial, and municipal funders, we recognize our positioning within the history and the ongoing realities of a larger nationalist project of occupation. We engage with this position critically, acknowledging and challenging its limitations. Rumble as an organization is committed to our staff and board growing their understanding and engagement with the knowledge of this territory, its peoples, and the ways of being that continue to care for and heal this territory.
A note from your potential co-workers, Jiv Parasram (Artistic Director) & Christie Watson (Managing Director):
Hey! We offer a pretty laid-back vibe when it comes to how we work and are always open to the question, “Why do we do things this way?”
Service is a good way to think of what we do, since we tend to spend a lot of time helping folx out who have varied levels of experience with theatre and are often navigating the seas of a larger system to do their work. We’re committed to building autonomy in the Independent Arts scene right now, and equipping Independent Artists with the skills they need to actively participate and navigate the public funding world.
Rumble is people oriented. The work itself is less about centering the “show” but more about hosting low barrier events however we can within our means where the “show” is part of the larger event. It’s a small paradigm shift, but with big implications.
Also – we are very supportive of our colleagues’ practices outside the workplace whatever they be. It’s important for us that staff can pursue anything that helps them live a well-rounded life. It’s a very small core staff, and we hold each other accountable – including in our pursuits outside the workplace.
Job description: Operations Manager
Reporting to and working directly with the Managing Director and Artistic Director, the Operations Manager assists with day-to-day administrative operations, communications, audience services, and development. This position works in office maintenance, communication tools (database, email, website), marketing and donor campaigns, daily financial needs, and other duties as required.
Commitment to pay equity: Though the Operations Manager will report for the time being to the Artistic Director and Managing Director, the position is considered equally essential to the operations of the organization and will require some executive oversight. Compensation for the Operations Manager position is scaled at pay equity with all core employees.
Professional development: Rumble supports and will contribute to professional development that is important to the job and your practice.
Dependent care: Rumble supports and contributes in a limited capacity to costs associated with dependent care for employees to support the execution of their duties.
Working remotely: Rumble staff and artists are currently operating from home with limited essential access to our office and studio facilities. This way of working will continue to respond reflexively to the restrictions and advisory of current health authorities. We expect this to continue for the foreseeable future, into 2022.
Day-to-day administrative support, including:
- Financial management
- Bookkeeping preparation
- Management of Invoices and outgoing payment schedules
- Assisting with annual review engagement preparation
- Grant administration
- Maintain an updated grant schedule for the organization
- Proofreading and copyediting of grants
- Statistical data coordination
- Preparation of application materials, including support materials
- Creative input is not required, but encouraged
- Producing and events
- Volunteer coordination
- Assisting and representing Rumble at public events (e.g., shows, outreach) in collaboration with staff
- Preparation of contracts and letters of agreement to artists and contractors as required
- Assist in the preparation of marketing and publicity copy (in collaboration with staff and external contractors)
- Prepare regular newsletter
- Provide updates to website and additional public facing materials
- Draft press releases
- Represent the organization on one sub-committee of shared office and creation space, Progress Lab 1422 (small time commitment)
- Prepare development and individual donation requests, tax receipts, and acknowledgements (in collaboration with staff)
- Assist the Artistic and Managing Director in preparation of staff report (every other month)
- Note: Attendance at board meetings is not required, but all staff are welcome
- Team work
- Working reflexively with the Artistic Director and Managing Director to execute company activities, respective of time and workload
- Commitment to anti-racism, equity, access, and company culture
- Working with the staff to ensure accountability in day-to-day operations to long-term strategies, ethos, and organizational infrastructure
- Note: Long-term visioning is not a responsibility, but is encouraged respective of time and workload
- Contributes to and supports a healthy company culture
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A sense of humour
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and proficient at meeting deadlines
- Comfortable working on multiple projects simultaneously
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience in an office environment (or equivalent) with proficiency in filing and task management
- Comfortable working in team environments
- A basic understanding or willingness to learn key principles as applied to arts and culture including but not limited to:
- Equity and inclusion
- Decolonization and decoloniality
- Anti-racism, racialization, and class discrimination
- Citizenship and immigrant rights
- Migrant rights
- Accountability and justice
- Knowledge of the local and national performing arts community
- Knowledge of international performing arts community
- Knowledge of Performing Arts or Cultural Traditions historically excluded from mainstream contemporary practice
- Knowledge of event ticket services (e.g., Eventbrite, Brown Paper Tickets)
- Experience with desktop publishing, WordPress and database management.
- Strong communication skills and IT skills, particularly experience with web-based software and services (e.g., Zoom, Mailchimp, Slack, Dropbox, Google Suites)
Major upcoming and recurring projects
- The production or presentation of 2-4 works per year for public dissemination
- The development or creation of 1-2 works per year
- The support of Independent Artists and smaller arts organizations through mentorship and other means (including partnership) as limited by capacity
- The execution of 3-4 community engaged events (salon series, workshops, supported initiatives)
- Practical sectoral research on an ad-hoc basis
- The production of the Tremors Festival (currently bi-annually), a development festival supporting the presentation of approximately eight works-in-development
Start date: July 15, 2021. This is a 12-month term with a possibility of extension upon mutual agreement.
Reports to: Artistic Director & Managing Director
Salary/benefits: $35,000 annually with extended health and dental benefits
Hours: Permanent Part-time, based on a calculation of approximately 3 days/week.
Note: Hours are flexible, and the autonomy of the Operations Manager is respected. Besides necessary core staff meetings, and specific incidents of company representation and event execution, your time is your own, so long as you are accountable to your co-workers and the organization.
How to apply
Please apply with a cover letter introducing yourself and any specific assets (including those unlisted) you may bring to the organization, plus your resume or CV. Please put your documents together in one PDF attachment and email it to email@example.com with the email subject line “Operations Manager.”
Applications close: Monday, June 14, 2021
We strongly encourage applications from members of marginalized and underserved/underrepresented communities, especially those who identify as Indigenous, Black, or people of colour; as well as and those from diverse age groups, sexual orientations, gender identities and expression.
We welcome applicants living with disabilities; however, our offices are not currently accessible for those for whom stairs are a barrier.
Contact name: Jivesh Parasram
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact phone: 647.891.5487
To download a PDF version of the job call, click here: Job Posting – Operations Manager for Rumble Theatre