Call for Submissions: Ostara – Untrue Stories Live
A night where we gather to share stories.
Rumble is accepting submissions for its third New Creation Night. It’s something like a storytelling night, only the stories don’t have to be true. But they can be, because there’s always a little truth in fiction.
We offered you “Liminal Magic” and “Lupercalia” events that paid respects to the night. It was underneath the moonlight, that magic space in-between this world and another. Vibing on a polarizing frequency, for the third iteration we are honouring the magic of Spring Equinox, “Ostara.” It will pay respects to the daylight, when the sun is exactly above the equator, when day and night are in harmonic balance. It wakes hibernation and invites re-emergence, rebirth and renewal. It honours that ethereal time of day when the world is quiet and the light breaks through the darkness. It’s a solar ritual. It’s equilibrium. It’s the prospect of a bright, bold, bodacious beginning – it’s dawn magic.
We strongly encourage works including:
Futurism and Afrofuturism
Storytelling and Fable
Underrepresented and Experimental Forms of Storytelling
Works should have a maximum running time of 12 minutes.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants whose project draws on or shares traditional knowledge must be able to verify adequate permissions to share this story in public.
We strive to make our events accessible to all artists, including D/deaf artists, artists with lived experiences of disability, neurodivergent artists and artists on the mental health spectrum; and are happy to make accommodations based on the access needs of our selected artists, including ASL interpretation. We especially encourage submissions from QTIBPOC.
We will select three pieces.
HOW IT WORKS:
- We select story concepts submitted by you.
- Selected Artists write a piece (maximum 12 minutes).
- Pieces will be performed by the writer or another artist as you see fit.
- We will provide an additional fee for a collaborative artist of your choice.
- Live Underscoring/Musical Accompaniment will be incorporated for sonic mood/tone.
- This all happens LIVE AND IN PERSON!
- Everything gets recorded and broadcast out at a later date for access.
- We host pieces on our podcast platform. You maintain full creative rights to your piece!
Submission Deadline: February 18th 2022
Selection Announcement : February 28th
1st Draft Script Deadline: March 21st
Rehearsal Dates: April 4th – 7th [Minimum 4 HR per piece]
Tech/Dress: April 6th & 7th [Evening]
Event Date: April 8th & 9th [Evening]
Outdoor Event Location: Progress Lab 1422 William Street
Artists must be available for a minimum of 4 hours of on-site rehearsal between April 4th & 7th.
In addition, Artists must be available for Tech/Dress and the Event.
Selected Applicants will receive:
Commissioning Fee ($1,500)
Collaborating Artist Fee ($1,000)
Please Note: This format is ideally suited to direct address, monologues or lecture based work, but could support two-handers or dialogue based work.
WHAT TO SUBMIT:
- Tell us who you are
- Give us a short description of what you want to create/do
- Let us know if there is a collaborating artist you will be working with and what their role is
- Send us something to get to know you a bit better:
This could be:
-Video or audio of you performing/ your work being performed
-Phone Recording of you reading something you care about
HOW TO SUBMIT:
Please fill out the following form:
Or submit ONE pdf with the following information to New Creation Night Artistic Producer Tricia Trinh at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will be in touch with selected applicants by February 28th, 2022.